Why you should read this notice
Here at Open Sensors we take security seriously and are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy at all times. It’s important for you to read this notice so you understand:
- Who we are
- How and why we collect your data
- Where it’s stored, used and shared
- Your rights to access your personal information
- How to contact us or the Supervisory Authority if you have a complaint
Who we are
Open Sensors Ltd, a private limited company (no 08773413) registered in England with address 106 Harpenden Road, London, E12 5HN.
Open Sensors provides the next generation smart Building Management System. Our sensors and analytics tools help businesses make the most effective use of buildings, using data to manage physical resources to build a sustainable future.
Open Sensors Limited collects, uses and is responsible for certain personal information given to us.
- We’re compliant with the General Data Protection Regulation [GDPR] which applies across the European Union including the UK.
- We’re responsible as ‘data controller’ of the personal information collected under this regulation and described in this notice.
- The Information Commissioner’s Office is the Supervisory Authority for the UK and responsible for regulating and enforcing this regulation.
- If you have any questions about this notice, please contact us using the details supplied at the end of this page.
Personal information we collect and use
When you visit our website
You are free to explore our website without having to give us any personal information about yourself. However, to help improve your web experience. We may record the following information when you visit our website or social media channels:
- Type of content you engage with
- Referring website addresses
- IP address
- Internet service provider
- Browser type
- Mobile device type
- Page visit and views
When you first visit the site, we’ll ask your permission to store information (in the form of cookies) in your web browser which you can decide to accept or decline. This helps us collect information about your web experience.
What information we collect
We may collect, store and use personal information you give us by phone, online forms, email or any other communication channels.
The type of information we may process if you have given it to us can include:
- Job title
- Company name
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Correspondence between you and us
- Products and services you have with us
- Any other information you give us
We don’t capture sensitive information
We don’t collect sensitive information from our website or social media channels such as:
- Financial account information
- Credit or debit card details
- Racial or ethnic origin
- Physical or mental health condition
- Information about children
Clients who use our cloud base platform
We operate a cloud base service for processing and managing sensor information.
The information we collect and store about our clients who uses our service are:
- Login details
- Usage information
How we use your personal information
We may use your personal information to:
- Improve your browsing experience by personalising the website, product and content we serve to you.
- Improve our subscription service to send you content that might be of interest to you by email or other communication channels.
- Publish customer testimonials and comments on our website which might include personal information. We’ll always obtain customer consent by email before we publish anything.
- Promote our products and services to you.
- Give you access to our cloud base platform and support functions if you are a client.
- Respond and manage customer support requests/queries.
- Send information to you regarding changes to any of our policy notices, T&Cs as well as legal agreements.
- Meet legal requirements.
Information collected from other sources
Occasionally we may obtain personal information from third party sources such as partners or publicly available channels like social media and websites. We may use this information to develop joint marketing activities e.g. webcasts, events or promotional content that might be of interest to you.
We never share or sell your personal information
- We will never share or sell your personal information with any third parties or external partners
- We’ll only share personal information with law enforcement or other authorities if required to by law
- We don’t transfer your data outside the EU
Legal basis for processing your personal information (EEA visitors only)
Our legal basis for collecting and using personal information depends on the type of information needed and the context of why we’re collecting it. In most circumstances, legitimate interest is the lawful basis we use to collect your personal information:
- When you have given us permission to do so
- When we need it for contract purposes
- The processing of your personal information is in our legitimate interest and does not affect your data protection interest
- When we have a legal obligation to do so
Consent to receive communications from us
- We will only send you communications about our products and services or relevant content when you give us permission to do so.
- Your consent and preference is captured on our subscription page and stored in our database.
Withdrawing consent for marketing emails
- You can change your mind at any time to stop receiving communications from us or choose what content you want to receive. Simply visit the unsubscribe page and update your preference.
We’ll always inform you
- When we need your personal information to meet a legal requirement or for contract purposes
- We’ll tell you and make this clear at the point in time we ask for this
- We’ll also tell you whether the need for your personal information is compulsory and not
- What will happen if you don’t provide the personal information
How long your personal information will be kept
- The length of time we store and use your personal information depends on the type of information collected and the business need for it.
- The period we are required to keep information by applicable UK tax law is six years.
- When we no longer have an ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information.
- If you gave us permission to send you communications about our products, service and relevant content, then we will keep the information about your communication preference for as long as you want to receive them.
- You can always change your mind and unsubscribe at anytime.
Your rightsUnder the General Data Protection Regulation you have a number of important rights free of charge to review, correct and remove your personal information.
- In certain circumstances, you can request access to review, correct mistakes or delete the personal information we hold about you.
- You can object to or ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information.
- You have the right to ask us to transmit this information to a third party in certain situations.
- You can object to decisions being taken by automated means which produce legal effects that affect you.
- Where our processing is based on your consent (for example, for marketing communication) you can withdraw your consent at any time.
Unsubscribing from our communications
- You can unsubscribe at any time by visiting the unsubscribe page which is also located at the bottom of all our emails to you.
- If you prefer, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know your preference.
For further information on each of those rights, including the circumstances in which they apply, see the Guidance from the UK Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) on individuals rights under the General Data Protection Regulation.
Keeping your personal information secure
We take every precaution necessary and security measures to prevent unauthorised access and unlawful use of personal information.
- We use industry standards to encrypt communications and private information used on our platform. All account information is securely stored on our cloud network.
- Access to your personal information is limited only to those who have a genuine business need to know it.
- Those processing your information will do so only in an authorised manner and are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
- We also have procedures in place to deal with any suspected data security breach. We will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected data security breach where we are legally required to do so.
How to protect your personal information
- Visit Get Safe Online www.getsafeonline.org for more on how to protect your information and your computers and devices against fraud, identity theft and viruses.
- Get Safe Online is supported by HM Government and leading businesses.
How to make a complaint
Our goal is to give you transparency and resolve any query or concerns you have about the way your information is used. You can send your complaint to us by email, post or phone using the contact details on this page.
Who else you can send a complaint too
Under the the General Data Protection Regulation [GDPR] you can place a complaint with a supervisory authority in the European Union (or European Economic Area) state where you work, normally live or where any alleged infringement of data protection laws took place.
The Information Commissioner’s Office [ICO]
The supervisory authority in the UK is the Information Commissioner’s Office who are responsible for regulating and enforcing the GDPR. For more information, visit https://ico.org.uk/concerns.
How to contact us
If you have any questions about this privacy notice or the information we hold about you, please get in touch with us:
- New Broad Street House, 35 New Broad Street, 1st floor, London, EC2M 1NH
- +44 (0)20 3868 4376
Changes to this privacy notice
- This privacy notice was updated on 22 Jan 2020.
- If we make any changes to our privacy notice we’ll update it on this page.
- If the changes are significant we’ll let you know by email.